Frequently asked questions

Q. What size unit do I need?

A. The unit size you may require can vary greatly depending on the size of your furniture and how high you can stack boxes. To better assist you please use our What Fits section to help you find an appropriate size option. Our professional and knowledgeable associates are also available to assist you with your questions and sizing needs.

Q. Do I need insurance?

A. Insuring your items while they are in storage is highly recommended. Just as your home is susceptible to fire, roof leaks, burglary and vandalism so is your storage unit. Check your homeowners or renters insurance policy to see if your storage possessions are covered. We do not provide insurance through our facility. You are responsible for obtaining your own insurance for your property while stored on our property.

Q. Can I pay for storage by automatic debit payments?

A. Yes. You can pay for storage by automatic debit from your debit/bank card or credit card account on the 1st of every month.

Q. Is there a minimum rental term?

A. No. We offer month-to-month lease options for your convenience. We require at least 30 days notice before you vacate.

Q. Can I bring my own lock?

A. Yes. We encourage tenants to bring their own locks at time of signing a lease. We also have locks available on site for purchase if you do not have one.

Q. What forms of payment do you accept?

A. We accept cash, checks, money orders, Visa, MasterCard and American Express.

Q. How do I make a payment?

A. You can either pay in person, through the mail or on our website. You may also sign up to have the payment automatically deducted from your credit card/savings/checking account monthly.

Q. Can I just stop by to view the facility and storage spaces? Or do I need an appointment?

A. Stop by anytime between the hours of 7am and 7pm Monday – Friday, 10 am – 6 pm Saturday or 9 am – 12 pm on Sunday for a complimentary tour of our facility.

Q. When can I move in?

A. If there is a storage space available you can move in anytime that meets your storage requirements.

Q. What type of documentation do I need to provide in order to rent a space?

A. All you need is a Government issued form of ID (example: driver’s license, state id, or passport)

Q. Am I required to have insurance on my RV, Boat or vehicle before I store it on your property?

A. Yes. We require any vehicle to have insurance prior to being brought and stored on our property.

What Fits? Frequently Asked Questions Tips & Tricks